We have opportunities in our Software Engineering division for a Senior Software Site Support Engineer who will report to the Functional Director: Software. You will support the engineering, deployment and commissioning activities of the radio telescope in the Karoo.
- Investigate support issues reported on the site
- Coordinate testing, troubleshooting, and tracking of inter-subsystem issues
- Support user requests for data and trend analysis
- Fixed minor bugs in deployed software where possible
- Engage with different subsystems to identify issues, perform system integration testing, support on-site commissioning testing
- Development infrastructure deployment and maintenance
- Deploy software subsystems to production systems and manage/monitor site deployments
- Contribution to documentation and project management, as required
- Training of operators and marshals on software subsystems
- Laboratory integration tests of subcontractors’ deliverables with software systems; comments/contributions to contractors
- Assist in the development and execution of integrated tests to test complete software subsystems on lab machines before deploying them to Karoo systems
- Configure, install and troubleshoot operating system software and server hardware
- Configure and manage the subsystem network
- Monitor and maintain server performance
- Mentoring Software Site Support Engineers
- Make technical decisions, suggest improvements
- Assume full responsibility for routing, switching, fabricating, and operating system administration of subsystem networks
- Diploma / Advanced Certificate / NQF 6
- ND (Comp Sci) with 11 years and over; ORB
- Sc (Comp Sci) with 10 years and over; ORB
- Eng / B
- Sc Hons (Comp Sci) with 9 years and above; ORM
- Eng / M
- Sc (Comp Sci) with 7+ years; ORPhD / D
- Eng with 5+ years
- Experience in software development, testing or technical support
- Test, deploy, go live, release and support large-scale projects
- Test-driven development and integration testing techniques, methodologies, and frameworks; and support systems
- Understanding of network routing, switching fabric, and operating system administration
- Modern software collaboration tools such as Github, Containers, Google Drive, JIRA, etc.
- Continuous integration, testing and deployment techniques and tools
- Linux operating systems and networking
- Python programming language is beneficial
Ability to: Work independently and be a good team [URL Removed] and flourish in a collaboration [URL Removed] Oral and written English [URL Removed] problems [URL Removed] Pay attention to [URL Removed] additional training, exp. & personal qualities: Good knowledge and experience of software testing and quality [URL Removed] Python and software experience [URL Removed] experience with operating systems (Linux, Windows) and [URL Removed] and proven diagnosis [URL Removed] oral and written communication [URL Removed] and ability to work [URL Removed] interest in systems engineering and operation.? Good attention to detail. ? Want to know more and deepen your knowledge. ? Team spirit and ability to thrive in collaboration [URL Removed] The NRF website provides more details on initiatives and activities
Candidates must submit a full CV by registering and applying online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications should be accompanied by a cover letter indicating the candidate’s suitability for the position.
The names and contact details of at least three arbitrators must be provided.
- Skills in the field of application of the position
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in the performance of duties
About the employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of national research facilities and science outreach platforms and programs to the wider community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering and social sciences. and human sciences.
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities under the Square Kilometer Array Radio Telescope, commonly referred to as SKA, in engineering, science and building. SARAO is a national facility operated by the National Research Foundation and integrates radio astronomy instruments and programs such as the MeerKAT Telescope in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Interferometry Program Very Long Baseline (AVN) in nine African countries as well as associated human capital development and commercialization efforts.
Find out more/Apply to this position